I’m hoping the talk will be podcast at the climate2030 site soon.
Until then I’m paraphrasing (poorly from a feint memory with no notes).
- The ‘solution’ talked up in local newspapers/radio was actually the signing of an ‘M.O.U.’ by the Prime Minister and all State Premiers, based on a plan that cannot work under at least two reasonably likely scenarios
- In July 2008 the final ‘deal’ will be signed
- Professor Mike Young argues that an agile water trading model based on shares (where the environment and river itself are ‘traders’) is a better way to manage the system in both prosperity and tough times
- There is an opportunity to influence the final ‘deal’, soon to be signed – through conversations and public voice
- If YOU think Professor Young’s plan is a good one you should talk about it – soon
I have had the good fortune to hear Professor Young talk about his plan on several occasions and I think I am beginning to get it. One thing I am sure of is that both his heart and brain are in the right place, having been inspired by such great champions as the late Peter Cullen.
So, when the talk is available online – get it, listen to it and start conversations.
Fang – Mike Seyfang
p.s. If you are interested in more detailed information you can subscribe to a regular ‘water droplet’ newsletter via email.